Thursday 10 April 2008

My panini went down like hotcakes!

My team have been in absolute stitches all day over last night's episode of The Apprentice. Grown men rolling around in tears at Kevin's exploits. How he didn't get fired, I don't know.

A head chef who suggests baked mushrooms and sauteed potatoes as a typical italian dish! His pep talk was about as inspiring as a fart in the bath and his claim that he went into the board room, let Ian talk and then "nailed him to the floor" is nothing short of fantasy!

Lucky for Kevin, there was someone even more inept than he. Ian's loss of control and inability to delegate meant noone was responsible for money and that's what Sir Alan cares about. Too much money was spent and noone was keeping track or even thinking about margins. Noone except Simon, who Ian ignored in favour of listening to a red fcaed, delusional chef. in the end, Ian came across as weak and had no excuse for losing, but I did hope Sir Alan would do a double whammy!

Michael Sophocles is the one who really got away with it this week. He does very little, other than act the fool and occassionally make a rash decision which he says he'll take responsibility for. This time he decided to reduce the cost of the soup, bad decision and Sir Alan picked up on it, steering Ian towards taking Michael into the board room. Ian failed to notice this, if he'd picked up on it, prehaps he would have stayed...

It was at this stage last year that I took on the role of project manager and failed. Our facepainting business was hindered by technicalities of filming children (and the fact there weren't any children about!) and our kissagram service was considered immoral (although we'd have made loads of money if we'd done it all day!). I faced the firing line and it was pretty terrifying, but I knew I had to have a strategy. I knew the 2 reasons we lost the task were location and disruption. Geri was responsible for location and Jadine was a constant source of disruption; they were the two I brought back to the Board Room and I knew exactly why I took them and why they should go instead of me. This season's candidates don't seem to have grasped the importance of having that kind of strategy.

So, who to watch?

Jennifer - top sales person in Europe - suggested a murder mystery evening in a North London pub! Did go on to secure free marketing materials, yet to see her do anything earth shattering...

Claire - I think she's great, has her head screwed on, was fair in the boardroom and won her task - she'll be safe for a while.

Sara - rubbish project manager, carried through by the rest of the team. Squeaks too much, reminds me of last year's Ghazal.

Simon - good bloke. Probably too nice for Sir Alan!

No comments: